Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hot Toddy to the rescue!

Well, my last post was just a highlight of what happens when you were working too hard taking care of everyone else that you forgot yourself. This self-sacrifice is well known in "Mom/Dad Land", because it's not just moms who get overwhelmed. We have to give props to the Dads out there too! This post will be simple and to the point. Wisconsinites LOVE brandy. It can help a teething baby by rubbing it on the gums. This is typically the blackberry sorts. It can be a sophisticated cocktail before, during, and after dinner. It can be used to make wonderful additions to cherries and pears for desserts. And most importantly, to relieve the symptoms of a cold/flu.

This my friends is what is referred to as a "Hot Toddy". I'm not sure who Toddy is, but I'm thankful for his contributions to sick people everywhere. Here's the low down. It is a hot drink that is made up of tea, honey, lemon, and of course brandy. It can be dressed up or down depending on what you have on hand. I have read that you can buy apple flavored brandy, this sounds wonderful and I may have to do some personal research on this one! My version this week was an orange spice tea, a nice spoonful of clover honey, a drip or two of lemon juice, and a shot (maybe a little more) of brandy. serve hot and steamy with a fuzzy blanket and a soon to follow nap. I have found that even if it doesn't totally relieve the symptoms of a runny nose, stuffy head, all over ache it at least makes it a little easier to sleep.
So while I nurse this silly sickness I will leave you with a picture of Wisconsin love-- The Hot Toddy!

2 comments:

  1. This seems like a very universal remedy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned it from my Mother-in-law who is great with unorthodox treatments. Plus it's a good excuse for when you are sick!

    ReplyDelete

Print

Print Friendly and PDF